Yes, another s'mores recipe! I guess I was really craving some this past weekend, when I made both these ice cream sandwiches and the brownies. I promise after this one, I'm done with s'mores recipes for a while! I've got some super healthy recipes up my sleeve for you all, which will make up for these indulgences. It's all about balance ;)
I wanted to attempt to make my favorite treat from Trader Joe's, their s'mores ice cream sandwich, from scratch. If you haven't tried these yet, you must! Or, maybe, just make this homemade version instead.
I purchased an ice cream maker this summer, and used it to make a toasted marshmallow ice cream, which I sandwiched between two graham crackers and rolled in dark chocolate.
To start, layer a 8x8 with parchment paper and line with graham cracker squares.
Next, make the vanilla ice cream. I use the traditional vanilla ice cream recipe that came in the recipe booklet with the ice cream maker.
While it is mixing, place 1 cup of mini marshmallows in a heat proof skillet and place in the top third of the oven under the broiler. Toast to desired liking. I like a nice golden brown.
Set aside and let cool completely. Once the ice cream is in the final 5 minutes of churning and the marshmallows have cooled, scoop small spoonfuls into ice cream maker. Doing small amounts at a time is key, otherwise it freezes right away when it touches the ice cream and you end up with a big mass of frozen marshmallow in your ice cream.
Once ice cream is done churning, scoop ice cream over the graham crackers in the 8x8 pan and level with a rubber spatula. Top with remaining graham cracker squares, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 2 hours.
Once hardened, lift from pan by pulling on parchment paper. Cut around graham cracker squares with a large knife until you have nine even squares (plus the little extra pieces at the end).
Roll the sides of each sandwich in mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings. If you don't have either of these, chop regular chocolate chips with a knife to create shavings and mini chunks.
Place each sandwich in a Ziploc bag and freeze!
S'mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 9 sandwiches
- Base ingredients for vanilla ice cream (usually whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla, salt, sugar)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 9 graham cracker sheets, snapped in half (more if you want to fill the 8x8 and do small end pieces, see pictures)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
1. Make base for vanilla ice cream and chill for instructed time (this is often 1-2 hours, minimum).
2. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and place 9 graham cracker squares, spaced evenly, along the bottom.
3. Start churning ice cream. Meanwhile, turn on broiler and place marshmallows in heat proof skillet. Place marshmallows in top third of oven, under the broiler. Watch carefully as the toasting happens very quickly! Once browned, remove from oven and let marshmallows cool completely. When ice cream is about 5 minutes away from being complete, take small spoonfuls of the toasted marshmallows and add to ice cream maker, as it is running. Continue until all marshmallows are added.
4. Once ice cream is complete, scoop into 8x8 pan with graham crackers. Level the ice cream with a rubber spatula and top with remaining graham cracker squares, trying your best to make them line up with the crackers on the bottom of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours, or until completely frozen.
5. Once frozen, remove ice cream and graham crackers from pan by lifting on parchment paper. Using a large knife, cut around the graham cracker squares until you have nine uniform sandwiches.
6. Place chocolate chips/shavings on a plate and roll each side of the sandwiches in it, pressing to help them adhere, if needed. Place in small plastic bags and freeze! Enjoy!