I have a huge passion for travel, and find I spend an obscure amount of time daydreaming about it. I'm often replaying the memories from past trips in my head, and planning ahead for the next. Here's what's on my travel wish list at the moment...
1. Mediterranean. I would love to do a cruise along Croatia, Greece, Italy, and Spain, spending extra time exploring Italy, since Chris has never been there. I've been to Rome, Florence and Venice, and seen a small portion of Tuscany countryside, but I would love to spend several days exploring the small cities on the West coast, like Cinque Terre.
2. Scotland. My parents took a trip two years ago to England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, and after seeing their pictures, I started researching Scotland tourism. I would love to see the Scotland Highlands - I picture it to be like the scenery in Braveheart.
3. Hawaii. I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but tropical beach vacations are not typically the kinds of vacations I gravitate towards. I don't like to sit still and do nothing on a beach all day, I feel like there is so much to explore and see! Hawaii would keep me busy, I imagine - island hopping, water sports, shopping, whale watching, etc.
4. Alaska. Alaska seems under-rated me. There is so much to explore, I don't know how I would decide what area to concentrate on. I think a cruise would be the best way to go, since there is so much to see.
5. Dogsledding in the Boundary Waters. The Boundary Waters are in Northern Minnesota and is a region of wilderness popular with campers and hikers. It's a series of lakes and islands, full of wildlife, waterfalls and trails. In the winter, these lakes freeze, which is when dogsledding becomes popular in this area. My work offers a dogsledding trip where you sled over the ice going from one island to the next all day, then set up camp with the dogs, and are given the option of sleeping in a cabin, or digging a tunnel into the snow that you can sleep in. A coworker who transferred to MN from South America did it his first winter in Minnesota, and he said it was one of the coolest experiences he has ever had. Have to try to convince Chris of this now...
6. Northern California. I have wanted to see wine country and San Francisco for so long. I would love to see Sonoma, Napa and spend at least 2-3 days eating my way through San Francisco. I need at least a week to explore the region, though, and would love to extend it to go up North along the Oregon and Washington coast.
7. The Great Barrier Reef, Australia. I don't often explore the possibility of traveling in Australia. Simply because flights are so ridiculously expensive. But, if I ever had the opportunity to go, I would love to see the Great Barrier Reef... and the Outback...
8. Zermatt, Switzerland. Chris and I loved every minute of our honeymoon, and we felt like we had enough time to explore all the regions we visited, except Zermatt. The owner of a restaurant we frequent here in town heard we went to Switzerland for our honeymoon, and asked if we went to Zermatt. We told him we did, and his eyes lit up and he said he has gone every year to hike the Matterhorn for the last eight years. He has traveled the world and he said it is the only place he enjoys enough to revisit every year. We agree. Our stay was too short, and I personally would love to make it there in the summer when their biking trails are open. Can you imagine biking up the Matterhorn??
9. The Black Forest, Germany. I tried to find time to see The Black Forest on our honeymoon, but at some point you have to say there just isn't time to do it all. I didn't want to cut our time short in other cities in order to do it, but after reading about it, it really intrigues me.
10. Bora Bora. Like I said above, beach vacations aren't typically my thing, but Bora Bora looks too pretty to not put on my travel bucket list! I see a vacation at Bora Bora looking like this... sleeping in a private bungalow over the ocean, sipping fruity rum drinks, and snorkeling. Yes, please!
I'm cutting myself off at 10, because I could go to 50. The Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, Prague, Iceland, Thailand, Vancouver, Charleston... there is so much to explore!
So, tell me, what is on your travel wish list? What has been your absolute favorite travel destination, and why?